BRITISH POLAR EXPLORER LEAVES UK FOR GROUNDBREAKING
21 October, 2013
- Land Rover Global Ambassador and professional explorer Ben Saunders sets off on the most ambitious polar expedition in more than 100 years
- Land Rover is a co-presenting partner of The Scott Expedition
- A 2,880km, four-month unsupported return journey from the coast of Antarctica to the South Pole on foot that will retrace the route taken by Captain Scott on his ill-fated Terra Nova expedition more than a century ago
- Ben’s preparation for the expedition included the use of the Cold Climate Chamber at Jaguar Land Rover, the chamber is an integral part of the development of all Jaguar Land Rover Products
- Professional explorer Ben will share his story with a global audience of millions through innovative technology that will allow him to capture, upload via satellite and share the experience online through text, images and videos
Whitley, UK, 3 October 2013
British polar explorer and Land Rover Global Brand Ambassador Ben Saunders, 36, will leave the UK today to embark on a world record-breaking challenge to accomplish the longest unsupported polar journey in history.
Accompanied by fellow adventurer Tarka L'Herpiniere, explorer and professional athlete Ben will travel to Antarctica for The Scott Expedition in a bid to finish Captain Scott’s original Terra Nova expedition to the South Pole in 1912. He aims to be the first to accomplish the return polar journey, walking from Scott’s Hut at the edge of Antarctica to the South Pole and back again, just over a century on from Scott’s heroic attempt. Walking on average 9.5 hours per day, the expedition is estimated to take 110 days with its finish date likely to be mid-February 2014.
The 2,880 km trek, equivalent to 69 back-to-back marathons and in temperatures down to minus -50ºC (Wind-chill -70ºC), will be the longest unsupported polar expedition ever made. Not only setting a new benchmark in terms of physical endeavour, the expedition will break new ground in the use of high-tech digital equipment. Ben, known in the polar world for his penchant for blogging live from his expeditions will share his story with a global audience of millions through innovative technology, courtesy of co-expedition partner Intel, that will allow him to capture, upload and share the experience online through text, images, videos and social media updates direct from Antarctica.
Land Rover is a co-presenting partner of The Scott Expedition, which promises challenges that reflect the spirit of adventure, capability and rugged quality that are fundamental to Land Rover’s brand and heritage.
Ben’s Land Rover Discovery has also played a vital part in assisting his training, which often takes place in hard to reach places in the UK, Europe and Greenland.
Mark Cameron, Land Rover’s Global Brand Experience Director said: “The Scott Expedition is an enormous challenge that honours a heroic spirit of adventure that has endured for more than 100 years. There are very good reasons why no one in history has ever completed this epic polar expedition. The Scott Expedition represents perfectly our brand’s heritage and the endurance and capability of our vehicles in the toughest environments”.
Ben Saunders said: "I am an explorer of limits – geographically, physically and mentally. At its heart this journey is about pure human endeavour, and the way in which I can inspire others to explore their own personal potential. The Scott Expedition will be both the greatest and most meaningful challenge I’ve ever taken on. With the help of key sponsors including Land Rover, I aim able to fulfill a life-long dream and at the same time recognise the remarkable achievements of Captain Scott and his men, using the benefits of modern technology to re-tell his story and create mine”.
Follow the Scott Expedition:
KEEP ME INFORMED
Sign up for all the latest Land Rover news
REQUEST A BROCHURE
Learn more about Land Rover vehicles
BOOK A TEST DRIVE
Experience the Land Rover of your choice
KEEP ME INFORMED ABOUT LAND ROVER EXPERIENCE
Keep me informed about a Land Rover Experience to put a Land Rover through its paces